You'll actually look forward to your morning commute. Life is calling. How far will you go? Learn more about the Peace Corps

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Mission Accomplished

So I am down to a little over two months time left in the Peace Corps. One year ago I was ecstatic about staying. I didn't feel like I had accomplished what I wanted to during my time here and was looking to do more. Now, with over three years in Paraguay, I am ready to go home. I feel like I've done what I came here to do. I worked hard for two years. I taught in a high school and an elementary school and worked with the community center a few times per week. I created and maintained a weekly radio program with the help of Erin and Angelic. I had exercise groups where I worked with women to create a healthy self-image. I stayed a third year during which I helped get a $5000 grant to build a larger building for meetings and events at the community center, Gotas de Leche, and helped with the creation of a Youth Secretary position at the Town Hall, as well as the Youth Parliament to create more projects for the town's teenagers and young adults. These projects have been extremely successful. I feel like I will have left my mark on the town of Coronel Oviedo and had a positive influence on those who I have worked with.

Currently I am working with the Youth Parliament and the Youth Secretary to plan the "2do Foro Juvenil Parlamentario" in which the youth will elect their new representative. The new secretary will start work in May, I will be here to help him or her start work and give some ideas for projects for the coming year.

I hope that the experiences gained this year in planning projects and the forum will be enough for them to continue in coming years. Last year I planned the entire forum alone with the support of a small team from the town hall. This year I am leaving most of the planning to the youth, stepping in only when needed for consulting or nudging to actually get stuff done. Its weird not just doing the work, but I definitely feel like I am embracing the Peace Corps idea of creating sustainability in this way.

Because I don't have to do all the work, I end up with a lot of free time. I have recently started working out with my friend Daniela in the early evening, we are doing Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred workout series and riding our bikes everyday. I have been able to read more and am in the process of deciding where to go to law school. I am trying to enjoy the free time and the tranquilo atmosphere because come fall, I will be back in the world of academia.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Dear Melissa,
I've enjoyed your blog and am so glad you decided to stay the extra year. It will be so sad to leave, so do relish these last few months. You have definitely made an important and lasting difference in your community. You can be so proud of yourself.

A young friend has just started his PC service in Zambia, and I'm keeping up with his blog as well. It's a "far cry" from those blue airmail letters we exchanged with our families "back in the day."

Very best wishes, Susan J. (Franceen's pal)