You'll actually look forward to your morning commute. Life is calling. How far will you go? Learn more about the Peace Corps

Monday, April 21, 2008

One More Week...

Today began my final week of training, which means I get to pack up all my stuff and lug it halfway across the country to my new home next week. But first this week will be packed with tons of activities including a party with our host families and our swearing in ceremony. I will be spending the weekend in Asuncion with the other new volunteers having a great time before I head out to site. Going out to site means integrating with a new family, getting to know a new city and trying to convince the locals to trust me so I can work with them. It won’t be easy, but I am always up for a challenge. My days will be much less structured and there won’t be Americans to talk to and hang out with. That might be the hardest part!

Yesterday the Paraguayan elections were held. The two major parties were still campaigning hard until Thursday night in Asuncion. There was no campaigning allowed after Thursday night so things were a lot quieter during the weekend. They also have a law here that prohibits the sale and consumption of alcohol on election day to help prevent rioting after the election. The voting is done via paper ballot. The Liberale party won! It will be interesting to see what happens as the Colorado party has been in power for 60 years and this is the first time the Liberales has won since the democracy was established in 1989.

No comments: