You'll actually look forward to your morning commute. Life is calling. How far will you go? Learn more about the Peace Corps

Saturday, February 16, 2008

El Dia de Las Enamoradas

El Dia de las Enamoradas, also known as Valentine’s Day, is similar here to the US. The concept is the same but the Paraguayans are not nearly as materialistic as Americans, so it’s not as big of a deal. We were in a slightly bigger city last weekend and I saw a few stores with teddy bears and chocolates, but for the most part one might not even know that the day was coming. My sister Laura and her boyfriend exchanged gifts and one of my teachers brought in cookies. There were a few venders selling flowers in the streets. The Paraguayans tell each other Happy Valentine’s Day as we would in the US. Very exciting… I was able to check my email though and I want to say thanks for all of the Valentines that I received. They were wonderful and I was glad to see you haven’t forgotten me yet!

Slowly but surely I am beginning to become a Spanish speaker. In just one week I feel like I have learned more than in my six years of Spanish in school. I can understand just about everything that Laura is telling me and a lot of what she is talking about with others. Which I assure you is great progress.

So far things have been great in Paraguay. I feel like I have been gone for a lot more than twelve days. It seems more like months because so much has happened. Just so you all know I am currently living in a “city” which is about an hour south of Asuncion. The concept of a city here is much different then in the States, so I can pretty much walk anywhere within the city in about 20 minutes. But there are bigger cities as well. For the next three months I will remain with my current host family. When I swear in as a volunteer and go to my placement I will be required to live with another family for six months in order to integrate into the community. We won’t find out our placements until week 8 or 9. I am hoping for something somewhat close to Asuncion. Laura is praying that it is close so we can hang out.

The training program is 11 weeks long and is run by a company called CHP. We have classes Monday through Friday from 7:45-11:30 and 1:00-5:00 and Saturdays from 8-12. The long lunch break is called La Siesta. Lunch is the biggest meal of the day here, as in many Latino countries, and is often accompanied by a nap. After almost two years of eating my lunch at my desk or on the run, if at all, I love La Siesta!

In case you were wondering the water here is very clean. I have been drinking it since my second day and haven’t had any problems. Luckily my family lives across the street from the water sanitation center so our water is probably the cleanest. The great thing about the water is that when showering you never run out of hot water. However the heating element is contained within the showerhead creating a somewhat dangerous situation because it is run by electricity and the wires could potentially touch the pipes. The bad thing about the water here is that there are not enough pumps keep it running for the whole city and often times the water shuts off around noon and doesn’t start running again until late. So that means using buckets of water to flush toilets, wash your hands, brush your teeth, etc. Luckily my family is innovative and they have an outdoor bathroom that has a tank on top. This way we always have running water, even if we have to go outside to get to it.

Dad you would be proud. I have been to Church more times in the last week then in the last five years. Laura is very involved in the Church and while I am trying to learn about Paraguayan culture and language I go everywhere with her, including mass and choir practice! The priest here is a 27 year-old Polack, which I find very fascinating. In the US it is rare to encounter such a young priest. It was interesting to see him perform mass especially since I could not understand most of it!

Well I am off for now! Thank you to everyone for your emails and posts. Keep them coming. Chao!

3 comments:

tasha said...

Hey you! You sound like you are so at home there! Good for you. Im glad everything is going well. But, remember, we want our Melissa back too!!! Promise me you will teach Ethan Spanish when you get back...haha...Talk to you soon. Chao!

Audra said...

Every time I read your posts, I feel more secure that you are fitting in well and seem very content! Ahhhhh.... nice to know. Good to hear from you:) Keep up the good work on that spanish, its probably easier to learn it because you are there- and are able to experience it- you're a pro! Love you, Chao!

lsalamon said...

Hola!!!! Im happy to hear all is well! Laura and her family seem like great hosts, Im glad they have utilities! I am jealous of the weather I have only seen the sun maybe 3 times since you have left. Everything here is pretty much the same, were going to Lisa and jer's for AJ's birthday. You will be missed dearly, lol Ill put your name on my gift!!!! I think Zeus is a little confused, he has been sleeping in the bathroom downstairs. Lil strange but then look who Im talking about, its cute!!! I joined the oh so classy YMCA, its going quite well actually. All except for the fact that the only time 4 lap swim is @ 545am or 9pm. Im trying for the morning, you can guess how that is working out! I am going to Devner on Mar 7, to see Mandi and Carlie is going too. I can't wait Im very excited to see the both of them and too see Denver!!! Ill let you know how it goes!
If you dont mind I have a few Questions about the atmosphere there, Im sure its a real shocker! What is the landscape like there?? Are there a lot of bugs, if so any crazy looking or common dangerous ones? Is the air as hot and nasty as a summer in NOLA or TPA? Mountains anywhere near you? Are the roads paved for the most part? Oh and by the way... I'm not drunk or anything right now while im asking these to you just so know, just curious about what you are experiencing!!!! Im sure that has already crossed your mind, punk!! How is the music? Are there swimming pools around for you to enjoy at all? Jungle ish or bare? What is the social scene like for the locals? You do not have to answer all of these however it would be nice to know, and you can throw in any other random tidbits that you know I might be wondering about!!!!! Ok I guess I should go before I get too annoying, I just thought you might need a lil taste of it!!!! LOVE YOU SO MUCH AND MISS YOU LIKE CRAZY,
Lis sis Lauren