You'll actually look forward to your morning commute. Life is calling. How far will you go? Learn more about the Peace Corps

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Dia de Amistad

Last Wednesday here in Paraguay we celebrated Friendship Day. Paraguayans take this holiday very seriously. They arrange parties and exchange gifts, it kinda felt like Christmas, only the gifts are super cheezy. At the Church my host family attends there was a white elephant party the weekend before Dia de Amistad. The weekend after my host family had their own gift exchange. I received a small diary that says ¨Wishing you Best Wishes¨in English on the front... kinda funny. I also received lots of little key chains and little card sized pieces of wood that describe me as a great friend. Everyone asked how we celebrate the day in the States... the unfortunate truth is that I don´t think I´d ever even heard of Friendship Day in the States. Does that make us unfriendly? Maybe we should pick up on this trend. At least make us look more friendly!

Last week also marked 3 months in site. I attended a three day training on language called the 3 month reconnect. All of the volunteers from my training group returned to our training community to learn a little bit more Guarani and Spanish and to hang out and compare experiences. Our sites are so different so it was good to hear about what everyone else is doing. I think it´s actually the last training that we´ll have all together as a training group.

In site I am continuously trying to become more involved. One of my friends is starting a theater group at one of the high schools so I plan on helping out with that. Our garden is starting to grow and this weekend my youth group is having a soccer tournament.

No comments: