You'll actually look forward to your morning commute. Life is calling. How far will you go? Learn more about the Peace Corps

Monday, March 3, 2008

The Tranquilo Life of a Volunteer

My four days with the volunteer sparked a light at the end of the tunnel. Training will eventually come to an end and so will the monotonous hours of 8-5 in a classroom. The life of a volunteer is much more relaxed while still getting work done. It was great. In addition to seeing the professional side of volunteer life I got to go to some great places around Asuncion. The Centro is the downtown area of Asuncion and there is a plaza there where they sell the traditional Apo’i shirts, tools for Terere and jewelry of all sorts. I am excited to return there once I have a little bit more cash. We also went to a really nice gelato place and out for sushi. It was tranquilo.

My language class has transitioned to learning Guarani. We started with common phrases last Friday and learned a little bit more on Thursday of this week. The language has a format that makes it easy to understand on paper but listening to people talk is a whole different story. It is definitely not easy trying to learn two languages at the same time. Hopefully I will get the hang of it. I have 8 more weeks of training to get down the basics and two years to figure it out!

1 comment:

none said...

Glad to hear everything is going well... I sent you a small package and letter about a month ago. I hope you receive it! Miss you!